Congratulations! You’ve made the decision to invest in a gorgeous smile and self-esteem with Invisalign braces. Now you will want to keep your mouth fresh and aligners transparent, using this good advice from Dr. Venitress Carrington at Smile Creations in Covington, GA.
Oral hygiene is easy!
Keeping teeth clean with conventional bracket and wire braces can be a big challenge. Invisalign aligners, though, are removable. You simply maintain a normal good oral hygiene routine – brush after eating and floss at bedtime. Plus, the hygienist has no problem cleaning your teeth at regular checkups.
Tips to protect aligners and teeth
- Do not eat or chew gum while wearing Invisalign – you will damage the plastic and could harm your teeth.
- Drink plenty of plain water to keep your mouth and body healthily hydrated. However, please take aligners out before drinking other beverages. Coffee, tea, cola, wine, and colored sports drinks can stain the plastic. In addition, aligners will trap sugars and acids from the drinks next to your teeth.
- Store aligners in their carrying case when you take them out to eat. If you wrap them in a napkin, they could accidentally be tossed in the trash.
- Brush after eating, before reinserting aligners.
- Clean aligners morning and evening, using tepid water. Hot water will warp the material. Brush with a soft toothbrush reserved just for aligners. Use clear (non-tinted) hand soap. Rinse aligners thoroughly before placing them back in your clean mouth.
- Be sure to wear aligners at least 20 hours a day – 22 is better – to complete your treatment plan efficiently.
The Invisalign alternative to braces lets you look great while straightening your teeth. Most teens and adults are good candidates. To find out if you are one of them, schedule a consultation with Dr. Carrington. The number is (770) 786-2754.